Sunday, October 13, 2013

A key change that has worked for me

I've been going strong since I started the blog. Two months ago I set a goal that I would work out 4 days a week.  Since making that goal, I have not missed a day's workout. I don't think I've ever gone this long in my life without missing a single day, and I was wondering why that is. Is it because Mexico is less than 7 months away? Is it cause I've been juggling more things and need the gym? Is it because I'm stubborn? All of these reasons are true, but I think the thing that's made consistency a lot easier for me is the time of day I do my work out. I've never committed to getting up and working out before I begin the day, and I must say, it has made all the difference. Working out makes me feel good, but getting there can be a horrible experience sometimes. You know what's coming. You make up errands that "have" to be done, and the gym is put off once again. 

When I go to the gym in the morning, I'm done with it. I don't need to agonize over it for the rest of the day. I don't need to fight myself over it or wear myself out making excuses. It seems like I have more time for all the things that demand my attention. Not only this, but working out in the morning is the proverbial folgers in my cup. It definitely starts my day right.

My experience with this pattern of consistency has also opened my eyes to the actual weight of my many duties. On the days when going to the gym is more challenging, and I'm struggling through my workout, something just short of Disney magic happens by the end. As soon as I take my last step on the treadmill and finish my workout, I feel as light as a feather. It's as if I carry a lot of weight from all the duties and chores and tasks I have in my life, and exercising is just one more weight. But it's a weight that, as soon as I've bore it sufficiently that morning, releases the rest of the weights of my life. It's weird. But it has changed my actual motivation to go to the gym. I've learned that working out isn't just something that will help me with my physique.  I need it for all the other aspects of my life. And it should be this way, because don't the other activities of our lives--sleeping, eating, working, and playing--each contribute to and shape our health?

If it's possible, I encourage you to try out working in the morning before you start the day. It's worked for me in a very positive way, and the results are starting to show.

No comments:

Post a Comment